Our Formation / History:
All Saints Parish was first formed by a group of Episcopal women. Fr. James R. Lytton and other priests from Fort Morgan and Greeley came Sterling to hold services for the people. These early pioneers met monthly at any place available, the old town hall, the Opera House, and later in the old Masonic Hall. A small building owned by the Birds was also used. It was whitewashed and painted; inside. Apple boxes and boards served as pews while a large crate draped with a sheet served as the altar.
In February 1910, a committee was appointed to explore the possibility of raising money to build a church. In October of that year, the ladies were organized, each member contributed one dollar. Monthly dues were set at a quarter each, toward the salary of the priest and negotiations were begun on properties. A lot on the corner of South Second Avenue and Phelps Street was contracted for and plans for a Tudor chapel were drawn.
By 1915, a contract for building was let, and the decision to build with brown brick instead of red was met with great controversy. The winning bid was $4,745.00. The original light fixtures were purchased for $350.00 and the pews were made at Fond Du Lac Furniture in Wisconsin for $800.00.The planning and building of the church went on for five years. The old rectory, now located at the corner of Ninth Avenue and Platte Streets was bought from Great Western Sugar and stood in the present day courtyard. The new Parish hall was added in 1958 at a cost of $40,000.00 In 1964 remodeling of the chancel gave the inside of the church a new look. All Saints called Fr. Terence Keefe in 1972. He served until he retired in April 1999.
In 1979 All Saints suffered a schism that cost the Parish nearly a third of its members. All Saints survived, and the new congregation became Holy Cross Mission. Holy Cross met in the chapel of a mortuary for a year, then moved into its own building at Sixth Avenue and West Main. Fr. David Mustian served as the first Vicar of Holy for 3 years 8 months. Fr. Marty Pearsall was the second Vicar serving 2 years 7 months. The third Vicar was Fr. Steven Swift. He served 2 years 8 months. In 1989 Holy Cross founder and member John Spence was ordained and became Vicar of Holy Cross and served 11 years.
In 1999 efforts were begun to join the two congregations. In May 2000 Bishop Winterrowd approved the union, and appointed Fr. Spence of Holy Cross as Priest-in-Chargeof the combined churches. The Bishops Committee of Holy Cross and Vestry of All Saints joined to become a Steering Committee to facilitate the creation of a new combined parish. The two congregations met together, alternating services between the two churches. In January 2001 the congregations were officially joined as Prince of Peace Church, a Mission of the Diocese of Colorado with Fr. Spence as Priest in charge, and began meeting exclusively at the original All Saints facility.
In July 2002 the process of calling a permanent priest for the burgeoning congregation was begun, with a mandate from the Bishop to have it completed by January 2003.
January 2003, Barb Kelley became the Administrative Assistant. This position combines the jobs of Secretary and Bookeeper into one position. She has become a great asset to the Prince of Peace Episcopal Church.
April 1, 2003- Fr. Stephen K. Reed started working part time as the new Vicar of Prince of Peace. Then starting June 1, 2003- he became fulltime, working with Fr. John Spence until his retirement on June 29, 2003. Fr. Steve has been a inspiration to the members of the church. In addition to being Vicar of Prince of Peace, Fr. Steve also serves as Chaplain to the Sterling's hospital, fire and law enforcement agencies.
In 2005, under the leadership of Fr. Steve and the Bishop's Committee, the two altars of Holy Cross and All Saints, both of which were in the sanctuary, were replaced with one altar built by Artisan/Craftsman George Rice and his sons Jeff and Andy.
From the June 2005 Colorado Episcopalian, "The new altar is made of three distinct parts-yet of one whole-symbolizing the Trinity. One part wood painstakingly constructed by George Rice and his family, is adorned by the now framed frontals made over the years at Holy Corss and recently "coverted" by Lani Michel, and topped with the marble top originally on the 1915 All Saints altar." The "new" altar was used for the first time on Easter of 2005.
In 2008, the Mission Statement of Prince of Peace changed from "We are here to serve the Lord" to "Experiencing God, Advancing God's Kingdom, Serving and Celebrating God"